Sidney Tarver is one of our dear clients at the Island Ship Center.
He’s an entrepreneur who also played a year in the National Football League. We were truly honored and grateful to host him for a few hours recently as he spoke some words of wisdom to our team, including the importance of authenticity, gratitude, discipline and consistency. He called his visits to the #SpaOfShipping as “therapeutic,” and we were elated.
He began his talk by asking our team, “Would you be willing to take the necessary actions to make your dreams come true?”
He broke down his talk into five main points, each worthy of a talk in itself:
1) Love yourself and recognize why you’re unique. Embrace authenticity. How you love yourself is how you teach others to love you. Cut the negative self-talk and watch yourself grow as a result.
2) Power of choice. Take chances if you truly want to achieve greatness.
3) Think big. Thinking small doesn’t do justice to ourselves or to the world. When you think big, your mind has a way of subconsciously leading your body to follow suit.
4) Discipline / Consistency / Accountability. Be accountable to and honest with yourself. Get your daily routine in check. Don’t let other peoples’ perception of you stop you from being you [or achieving your greatness.]
5) Keep going. Never quit. Learn to network and sharpen your skills. He also talked about receiving a full ride to college for football, along with his journey thereafter, and how his injury in the NFL ultimately led to his success in business. Sidney played for a year in the National Football League, both for the Cleveland Browns and the Jacksonville Jaguars. He ended his talk by saying, “It’s taken me 31 years to become an overnight success.”
Our team truly benefited from his relevant, engaging and authentic words and in this video, we’re sure you’ll find some gems for yourself as well. Thank you so much for accompanying us on this journey of personal development for us and our entire ISC family team.
-Fahim & Seema Mojawalla, Co-Owners Island Ship Center